Arrakeen - Patchwork CD (album) cover

PATCHWORK

Arrakeen

Prog-jester
3 stars ARRAKEEN were presented to me as a female-voiced French early MARILLION. I heard another band of that kind, LA TULIPE NOIRE, and still had an interest to further researches in this area :) .

“Patchwork” is a EP released in 1990, and sometimes it truly captures MARILLION spirit and manner. But I believe, the direction and ideas the band followed were quite different. ARRAKEEN sound more like a proto-NIGHTWISH stuff, i.e. “Metal with female vocals”. Guitar solos are great and somewhat close to Rothery’s ones, but they’re more metal-edged and less emotional. Nice record as a whole (I wonder what happened to the band), but if you really want to get something from ARRAKEEN, begin with “Mosaique”. Recommended both for Prog-Metal and MARILLION devotees.

Prog-jester | 3/5 |