Yes - Yesshows CD (album) cover

YESSHOWS

Finnforest
3 stars An unfortunate misfire.

Yes was due for another live album I suppose but this should not have been it. The excellent Yessongs covers the great material up through Close to the Edge. So the assumption is that they wanted something to cover Relayer through Tormato.

The problem with Yesshows is the song selection. I'll be brief. Drop the weaker cuts completely which are Parallels, Time and a Word, Going for the One, Don't Kill the Whale, and Wonderous Stories. You're left with the great versions of Ritual and Gates of Delirium. To those two songs, you now have 24 open minutes for which you could take your pick from Sound Chaser, To Be Over, Awaken, Turn of the Century, a better Tormato song, or more from Topographic if you wanted to add a third disc.

Laugh at me if you wish but I'd bet hard core Yes fans would rather have my mix of Yesshows than the one sitting on their shelves! As it exists, 3 stars. The two long songs are of course much better than that but I'm rating the job of presenting the overall middle period Yes material and they don't cut it in my opinion. The album artwork is some of Dean's finest and belongs in the prog art museum once we start one!

Finnforest | 3/5 |