Maneige - Les Porches CD (album) cover

LES PORCHES

Maneige

Shakespeare
3 stars After hearing stellar things about this album, and really enjoying the free sample, I was utterly horrified to discover that this release (and most of Maneige's other releases) was never re-released on digital format. And since my grandparents threw away their record player, I was without a method of hearing this album. Still determined to hear it, I asked my friend to find me a downloadable version. Luckily, he did, but I had trouble forgiving myself for such trespassing. (Ironically enough, as soon as I downloaded the album, I read ProgQuebec's announcement that they will be re-releasing Maneige's discography on CD format, along with some other bands' discographies in the near future. Now that it has been re-issued, it is my duty to repay the band for my trespassing.)

Musically, it's quite astounding, really. Exceptionally serene and melodious folk-oriented instruments smoothly shout a number of evolving melodies, all perfect, all beautiful and special, and never linger too long, nor depart too soon. Energy and dynamics rise and fall, a huge array of instruments play as one, a plentiful arsenal of musical styles and genres/subgenres emerge from the speakers. Sometimes darker, intriguing, powerful, and fast - other times passive, serene, and gorgeous. Jazz flows into folk, into country, into rock, but always is it progressive: ever changing and complex. I will be very disappointed if there's no massive swarm of reviews for this one as soon as the CD is released. (Which was not long ago now: what are you waiting for folks?!)

Shakespeare | 3/5 |