Like Wendy - The Storm Inside  CD (album) cover

Like Wendy

4 stars This one came at me out nowhere. I wasn't ready for what I found, so it was a real treat to find that Like Wendy is a rather delicious treat of neo-progressive that leaves the listener thirsty for more. Most of the time the melodies and instrumentation are rather formulaic, but that's ok since it's done so well. It's when LW take a chance that they shine. Vocal layers are a nice variation, and a hard, driving rock passage will liven up an otherwise gentle song that might have makings of Barclay James Harvest.

This is extremely well-done and hard to find fault with. The vocals are adequate, except when Bert Heinen gets emotioinal and lets a bit of edginess come into his voice. Then it sends shivers down my spine. So all in all an excellent debut. There's alot to like, so if you find yourself drawn to BJH, IQ or Van der Graaf Generator, give this a listen. You won't be disappointed.

beebs | 4/5 |