Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa CD (album) cover

ANGHERR SHISSPA

Koenjihyakkei

Zeuhl

cookieacquired
5 stars In Japan, there is a growing progressive scene that can now be accessed by all, thanks to this little invention that also lets you read this review. (It's the internet for those of you who were stymied by the riddles in The Hobbit, and just riddles in general I suppose) One of the things I was able to encounter was the band Koenjihyakkei. The band is spearheaded by Tatsuya Yoshida, of Ruins's fame. Angherr Shisspa, their latest effort, is a enchanting album that grows on me more with each listen.

The album carries two very distinct influences. One is of Yoshida's other famous band, Ruins, and the other is French Zeuhl pioneers Magma. Both are very noticeable throughout the album, such as the language spoken, which sounds very much like Magma, and the music which is reminiscient of Ruins. I also just love the vocals, which can be beautiful or haunting, or whatever they need be.

Everything on the album is masterfully crafted, even to the point where the album art seems apropos. Overall, I highly recommend this album, and think it is a great way for someone to be introduced to Zeuhl. One of the best of the genre.

cookieacquired | 5/5 |