King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon CD (album) cover

IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON

King Crimson

Queen By-Tor
3 stars Anyone in the mood for In The Court Of The Crimson King again!?

King Crimson's second album would have been very disapointing to me if I was listening to prog (or alive) when it was released. I would have simply thrown it away and pronounced the band dead. It's a good thing it was one of the later albums I bought by the King or I would ahve never been able to appreciate it. While the album certainly is good, and evil, especially the 11-minute DEVIL'S TRIANGLE, one thing that isn't my cup of tea is sounding too much like their prior release. PICTURES OF A CITY, the opening track (after the intro PEACE) has a very similar jazz-metal intro to 21st century Schizoid Man, and though it soon sounds very diferent the next track CADENCE AND CASCADE is very reminicent of I Talk To The Wind. IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON is a standout on the album, but only after you get over the fact that it sounds a lot like In The Court of the Crimson King, basically, a lot of tracks on this album sound like In The Court... Mk. II.

This is a good album, I like it a lot and it's very enjoyable, I'm just a bit thrown off by the similarities it shares with it's predicessor. However, if that was to point (to make a In The Court Mk. II), then the Kind Crimson could have done very well and recieved a 5 star rating from me. Judging from the standpoint of someone in 1970 eagerly awaiting the fresh new material from the young band, I give this album 3 stars. Great album, if a bit familiar sounding.

Queen By-Tor | 3/5 |