Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence  CD (album) cover

SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE

Dream Theater

Prog-jester
3 stars When got it in 2002, I already read a review, where only 4 stars from 5 were given. Blasphemy I thought; this is DREAM THEATER, they live next to God!!! Now I give it solid 3 stars without a single sign of hesitation, and there are reasons, believe me!

First of all, two CDs – it’s too much. The “suite” sounds forced, IMHO, and not worthy of 42 minutes. To be short, these are just 7 songs, and only 4 from them are somewhat nice (from “War inside my Head” to “Solitary Shell”). First CD is pretty good – it has “The Glass Prison”, the first chapter of Portnoy’s saga, excellent both musically and lyrically “The Great Debate” and gentle and moody “Disappear”, which sound exactly like lost PORCUPINE TREE classic! I like such experiments! But as a whole it’s too long and unnatural sometimes – like “Blind Faith”, which is utterly useless track…dunno, why they’ve thrown it in there.

Best tracks: “The Glass Prison”, “The Great Debate”, “Misunderstood”, “Disappear”

Best moments: 7/8 theme in “The Great Debate”, “Disappear” ending, the riff in “War inside my Head”, 13/16 rumbling in “The Test…”

Prog-jester | 3/5 |