Maserati - Inventions For The New Season CD (album) cover

Post Rock/Math rock

Equality 7-2521
4 stars Post-Rock with a bit of a different flavor.

On this album, Maserati take your Explosions In The Sky brand of post-rock, darken it, and throw in a spacey psych sound that really gives them a rather unique voice. The album really has a great purposive, almost dance-like feel to it. This mostly occurs due to the album's strong throbbing bass presence. I often feel the bass is overlooked in many post-rock bands, and its great to hear it with a standout role in the genre.

Many complain that post-rock often sounds too samey. I think Maserati deal appropriately with that problem as I never get that feeling while listening, even if the band does pretty much stick with its formula throughout the album. I really enjoy this album and it's one of the finest I've heard from the year. There's nothing revolutionary here or incredibly different I suppose, but it's certainly enjoyable from beginning to end.

Equality 7-2521 | 4/5 |