Focus - Focus: Jan Akkerman & Thijs Van Leer CD (album) cover

FOCUS: JAN AKKERMAN & THIJS VAN LEER

Focus

ZowieZiggy
2 stars So, the two Dutch masters are back again ! Great news for all the "Focus" fans (to which I belong). Eleven years after the fabulous "Concerto"...( their work in-between does not really need to be referenced). The association could of course lead to the best but so many of these rather led to worse, so it is with circumspection that I discovered this release.

One thing is for sure : the jazzy sounds of "Focus Con Proby" is put into brackets for some tracks which I can only be pleased of (but it will unfortunately reborn with "B."). Not that the duo (because it is not really a "Focus" effort") will fully turned into the great symphonic music they have delivered, but at least this album features some good moments (but not too many).

Of course, the repetitive "Tango" sounds a bit weak but it comes after the na´ve, folkish and ethnic "King Kong". The only traditional "Focus" song will be the very good opener, more in the style of the "Focus" we all love (?).

One of the weakest track IMO is "Indian Summer". Some world music stuff not really expected nor appropriate, I should say. Actually, it is a "Hors D'Oeuvre" before the long, repetitive and boring "Beethoven s Revenge".

Disco beat, electronic rhythms, new age, jazz improvisation : you name it ! New "Focus" as some reviewers mention ? Maybe. But this "Focus" could have remain silent. As far as this track is concerned at least. I was reluctant while listening to their ultra- long "Anonymus Two" (FROM "Focus III") but at least some ood intrumental jams were going on there. This track, is just booooring. For almost NINETEEN minutes. I wonder where is the Beethoven's revenge. Our dear Ludwig must be pretty P.O. that his name is linked with such poor stuff. Shame on you Akkerman & Van Leer !

Things get better with "OlÚ Judy". Rocking alright, this song will finally deliver great guitar and some good fluting; but still this synth- sound music is not really impressive.

"Who's Calling" is the second prog track here. But if you dream of hearing some jewel like "Concerto", just forget it. We are far from flirting with the spirit of this great epic, unfortunately.

I'm rather perplexed to rate this album when I see all the very high ratings (four to five stars fo rmost of it). Two will do IMO.

ZowieZiggy | 2/5 |