Threshold - Hypothetical CD (album) cover

HYPOTHETICAL

Threshold

Mellotron Storm
3 stars Some of the people and bands that they thank in the liner notes are Martin Orford, Clive Nolan, Fudge Smith, DREAM THEATER, PAIN OF SALVATION, ENCHANT, CONCEPTION, LANDMARQ, EGDON HEATH, FLAMBOROUGH HEAD and PSYCHOTIC WALTZ. Just an amazing album cover on this one. These guys truly are the kings of crunch. Another great record that is not without it's faults, but I can't resist the terrific vocals and the riff laden melodies.

"Light And Space" has a spacey intro before the riffs, synths and vocals arrive. I really like the calm section before 2 minutes that is quite beautiful. We then get a guitar solo followed by a synth solo. Soaring guitar to end it. Nice. "Turn On Tune In" has lots of crunch with background synths.The chorus is fantastic and 3 minutes in they're really cooking ! "The Ravages Of Time" features more crunch ! I love the drumming as well. Spacey synths come in as it settles down before 3 minutes. The heavy riffs are great.

"Sheltering Sky" is much like a power ballad. It opens with guitar, piano and reserved vocals as the wind blows. There is some guitar and riffs too. "Oceanbound" sounds like an earlier song, more of the same really. "Long Way Home" has a piano intro until riffs take over as synths come and go. There is an amazing sound 5 minutes in as riffs arrive with the guitar soloing over top. "Keep My Head" is a song I skip every time. I hate it. It's a ballad that sounds awful in my opinion. And it is very unusual for me to skip a song. "Narcissus" is where the band comes back to sanity again. Riffs throb as the guitar cries out. There is some good atmosphere to this one. The song changes 5 1/2 minutes in for a couple of minutes and then we're back to the crunch and some inventive guitar melodies. Some blistering guitar to end it.

Another winner from the riff masters, hypothetically speaking. 3.5 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |