Cairo - Conflict And Dreams CD (album) cover

2 stars When coming up with ideas for a focus for this 'review', I came up with such one-liners as:

My coat's on the floor...where's the hook?!

...too white

What I mean to say is; although these guys can play their balls off; I've yet to hunger, anticipate, revel in the joy that Prog Rock can bring even after many listenings to this note- filled tome.

These guys play technically better than ELP, sing almost as well as Yes and have a sense for the Debusseyesque textures of Genesis but they've not guts maaan!

A jazz piano teacher once told me that from Jazz to Rock to Clasical and everything in between "everything is the blues". What I understand that to mean is that in every great piece of music there's an underlying pain, tension or deeply felt emotion that keeps the listener and the player enthralled from note to note. On this album such events are few and far between and unfortunately, polished down to a Muzakish shine that robs the music of any success it may have in reaching the listener's emotions.

So, my hope is that someone, somewhere out there tell me where the beef is in today's Prog Rock. Spock's Beard is okay and I've yet to digest the Flower Kings so the juries out yet; but I know deep in my heart something is out there that will wake me and the world up to the true magnificence that the best of Progressive Rock can be in this, the 21st century!

(music up, holy choir crescendos, my head explodes)

| 2/5 |