Jordan Rudess - The Road Home CD (album) cover

Jordan Rudess

Evandro Martini
1 stars I don't know in other countries, but here in Brazil there's a lot of keyboardists wanting to punch Jordan Rudess. Why? Because he did a completely pointless and uninteresting album of covers.

Jordan Rudess seems unsure if he's going to play like in the original versions or going to change them (to me, an album of covers only has a point in the second option), so he just goes destroying prog classics in poor arrangements. Some comments on the music: Greg Lake's gentle but powerful voice is really missing in I Talk to the Wind and Tarkus. Both songs become hollow without Lake. Jordan plays Soon on the piano without any emotion at all. It seems to me as if he was playing a song he never heard before and was reading in a partiture. Where has the song's utter calm and beautiful emotive melody? Not here. Sound Chaser with no bass. How dare you, Jordan?? And the guitar solo in the middle, an avant-garde and inventive solo in Howe's version, became a poor heavy-metal solo with a distorted guitar. Oh my god.

In two words: completely pointless.

Evandro Martini | 1/5 |