The Morningside - The Wind, The Trees and The Shadows of The Past CD (album) cover

The Morningside

Experimental/Post Metal

PSIKE Team & Band Submissions
3 stars No shadows of the past ...

THE MORNINGSIDE is another newcomer band from Russia with a respectable professional output. Musically the band plays in a specific league somewhere between Prog Metal and Post Rock. Very tough with a solid rhythm section and two excellent guitar players which are getting my special attention. But unfortunately they have no luck because I personally don't like roaring vocals!

First of all we have a great Intro begin with a Siberian(?) ice storm which seduces you to reach for a pullover (especially if you're listening with headphones on). And then The Wind arises with a prog metal emphasis provided by clear metal guitars and aggressive vocals. The Trees begins with another intro which could have named 'The rain' as a matter of fact. This song is something like a transition to a more Post Rock direction and remembers at ISIS in parts. My favourite The Shadows Of The Past contains 'normal' vocals and wonderful twin guitar work. An excellent effort in a melancholic mood. Finally it's nearly the same with the Outro similar to CANCER CONSPIRACY.

As for a summary I think the songs might better take effect if they were pure instrumental. If you are interested in post-metal mixed music and don't have problems with harsh vocals this is a big recommendation ...

Rivertree | 3/5 |