King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King CD (album) cover

King Crimson

5 stars This is where prog legends King Crimson got their start. The album starts off with a song every prog-rock fan should know, "21st Century Schizoid Man", a spastic and sometimes dissonant, but brilliant piece with a completely insane instrumental section. After this, we're given the chance to relax with the beautiful ballad, "I Talk to the Wind", which features Ian Macdonald's melodic flute lines. Next is "Epitaph", a very moving symphonic piece with some powerful lyrics and that mellotron sound that characterized prog. After that is the underrated "Moonchild". Unlike a lot of people, I like the end, although it can be tedious after a while if you're not in the right mood. The album closes with "The Court of the Crimson King", which has a similar mood to "Epitaph". My personal favourite song on this album is "Epitaph", but they are all great and this album is a true masterpiece.
sean | 5/5 |