Jakob - Cale:Drew CD (album) cover

Post Rock/Math rock

3 stars Post-rock is an enigmatic genre of music. Eschewing standard song structures, compositions are extended and very much dependent on creating a mood, an atmosphere or space for the listener to engage with. JAKOB do this well, though I have some reservations when comparing them with the greats of the genre.

JAKOB is a New Zealand three-piece that create dark and heavy atmospheric music. I've not listened to their entire catalogue - their music is not all that easy to come by - but, judging by this album, I'll be searching out their other records. Eight ponderous tracks span the gamut from light ('Faye') to the deepest darkness invoked by distorted guitars (the single 'Semaphore' and 'Skew Aard'). At their heaviest they invoke bands like PELICAN and ISIS, but their soundscapes are true post-rock, more sophisticated than their progressive metal peers. The main criticism I'd level at this record is that the tracks are a little too short to fully engulf the listener in their soundscapes. Their buildups are necessarily briefer and less emotional than GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR, the touchstone for this genre, but they can still transport the dedicated listener to another, slightly more disturbing, world.

My favourite moment: the stunningly clean snare that emerges about six minutes into the guitar swirl of 'Jimmy Hoffa'. My pick for outstanding track on the album.

I am new to this band, and credit for introducing me to JAKOB must go to I was fortunate to pick this up from my local iTunes store.

russellk | 3/5 |