The Mars Volta - Amputechture CD (album) cover

The Mars Volta

Prog Leviathan
5 stars A mature and precise shift in emphasis shows that Mars Volta is hardly through with growing... or progressing as musicians for that matter. "Amputechture" is by far the classiest album the band has released. It is wholly coherent, densely layered with a fine mix of melody and effects, and features mature songs with a strong sense of direction and purpose. There are few, if any, real sections of mad-capped improvisation, and the whole effect is that of a sweeping composition overflowing with fantastic instrumental and vocal work. Lyrically heavy, "Amputecture" shows Mars Volta in a very focused light, and does not disappoint.

From the delicate buildup of the first song to the rhythmic intensity of songs like "Tetragammatron" and (the delightfully named) "Day of the Baphomets", this album has more variety in tone and mood than any of their previous works, and while I admit that it lacks as many WOW moments, I always-- always finish it once I've started it and never get bored. In fact, with every listen I discover something I hadn't noticed before, and am thoroughly convinced that it is one of the most creative albums to come out in a long time, and that Mars Volta should be praised for doing something original with the art form. There is nothing else like this out there.

Very highly recommended.

Songwriting: 5 Instrumental Performances: 5 Lyrics/Vocals: 5 Style/Emotion/Replay: 4

Prog Leviathan | 5/5 |