Hatfield And The North - The Rotters' Club CD (album) cover

THE ROTTERS' CLUB

Hatfield And The North

Canterbury Scene

obiter
2 stars My head spins when I try to remember which member of this canterbury scene band was in that canterbury scene band.

Anyway back to the music. Opening song is interesting, very Canterbury-ish. Lounging there: well a fairly mild offerring of the jazz to come.

Big John Wayne socks psychology ... bizarre brief filler. Chaos at the greasy spoon: another even more bisare effort. The Yes. After a couple of minutes I was reaching for the medicene cabinet for some headache pills. In some obviously higher circles this must pass for brilliant but I find the track an annoying, abrasive, disjointed self-indulgent mess. Maybe someone into modern jazz would like this: i find it dreadful. So dreadful in fact that it's hard to try and be objective: ok Complex rhythms, virtuoso extracts, a gorgeous bass sound exploited to the full with great runs.

There's a welcome release in when Fitter Stoke Has A Bath. But, it's still just not quite there. The more I have forced myself to listen to this annoying album the more I get the impression that it's one of those albums that people think they should like and aprpeciate. Sort of a ... hmmm yes I really appreciate the complex ... stuff... great yes.... difficult ... rewards multiple listeniing ... yes, very subtle use of whatever that thing is. Didnt's matter .. doesn't: don't go there (bit like Rotherham). Underdub crystallizes almost everything there is to loathe about banal backing music in a poor 70s detective movie.

Mumps' intro is understandable. I'm actually feeling less annoyed with this one. Then the inevitable descent into incomprehensible musical ramblings.

OK. I reckon this is album is Emperor's New Clothes.

obiter | 2/5 |