Radiohead - Hail To The Thief CD (album) cover

HAIL TO THE THIEF

Radiohead

therevelator
2 stars 1. 2+2=5 (3:26) 2. Sit Down. Stand Up (4:17) 3. Sail to the Moon (4:30) 4. Backdrifts (5:33) 5. Go to Sleep (3:32) 6. Where I End and You Begin (4:35) 7. We Suck Young Blood (5:00) 8. The Gloaming (4:24) 9. There There (5:26) 10. I Will (2:26) 11. A Punch-up at a Wedding (4:57) 12. Myxamatosis (3:59) 13. Scatterbrain (3:25) 14. A Wolf at the Door (3:26)

Hail to the Thief was a dissapointment to me. When i heard 2 + 2 = 5 on the radio i was surprised to hear them returning to a more rock driven sound and less keyboard driven. This album is a lot heavier than Kid A and Amnesiac, but i was dissapointed. The songs start to sound the same about half-way through and I lost interest very quickly.

Thom Yorke's vocals are very good on this album but the material is weak and generic, even for Radiohead. 2 + 2 = 5, There There, and Sail to the Moon are excellent tracks, all with beautiful, exciting, and memorable aspects that make them some Radiohead's better songs.

As a whole, however, Hail to the Theif was a big step down from amazing albums such as Ok Comptuer and Kid A. This definately isn't the end of Radiohead, but i hope they have more to offer on their new album, In Rainbows.

Overwhealming, but necessary when observing how Radiohead has changed over the years. Sail to the Moon, alone, makes this album easier to listen to.

therevelator | 2/5 |