Black Sabbath - Mob Rules CD (album) cover

Black Sabbath

2 stars A horrible title for an almost entirely horrible album....Okay, my first disappointment was a changed sound picture of the band. This album was my first touch with non-Ozzie Sabbath. And I could digest different vocals (I actually like Dio's voice a lot, but did that man ever sung something decent in his entire career?), but the different sound picture of the band was changed for worse...even if I don't count the sound picture the album is dull and uninspired.

...however, there are two songs worth checking: the first one is a mini-epic "The Sound Of The Southern Cross", a great song, worth your attention, and another song is - no, I won't mention "Falling Off The Edge Of The World" - another song is "E5-150", a short track, instrumental and great one at that (no virtuoso showmanship here, just a spacey drones). Sabbath did that kind of short experimental things before (remember the useless "FX"), but this one is making sense for the first time.

This one deserves two stars, the same rating goes for the entire BLACK SABBATH career after Ozzy.

clarke2001 | 2/5 |