Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

5 stars This is by far my favorite of all the VdGG catalogue, followed closely by the more famous Pawn Hearts. It would be a dead heat if not for the fact that Godbluff brings with it several mitigating factors: 1) A more modern sound, 2) Angrier lyrical content and delivery, and 3) David Jackson's sax work isn't lost in a cacophony of organ melodies. This coming from a keyboard player. I can't say that each and every track is held dear to my heart. While I love the music in "Arrow", I just can't get past Hammil's vocals. The other three tracks are flawless. The jam toward the end of "Sleepwalkers" leading into the final verse continues to thrill me regardless of how many times I've heard it. It gets the blood pumping. Contrast that with the shy, almost hesitant start to "Undercover Man". A lovely tune full of beautiful melodies and a broad range of vocal textures. My personal favorite of the four is "Scorched Earth". Building through a quiet clavinet and drum opening... a feeling of marching off to battle with its marshall trappings... and exploding into a full-blown conflict of sound. Ahhhh... maybe its just me... but I dig that sort of thing. This album and Pawn Hears are an essential part of any true prog enthusiast's collection.
smacdonald206 | 5/5 |