Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison CD (album) cover

SI ON AVAIT BESOIN D'UNE CINQUIÈME SAISON

Harmonium

bertolino
5 stars As regular reader and occasional reviewer, it's about time i add my word about this true masterpiece. I won't add too much about the music itself as others have mentioned pretty accurately what's about it: nice flowing pastoral music in the vein of early acoustic Genesis or similar to a certain vein of the Italian prog school (PFM or Celeste come to mind). It's mainly as Quebecois i wish to add some considerations. Few words have been said about the social and politics issues underlying the first level of the lyrics based on the seasons and thus the cycle of life. True that Life, in the sense Serge Fiori did intend it, appeal to Quebec history: 70's mid period brought a sovereinist government to the fore and at this point, Quebecois did enter a five year period leading to a referendum about the issue of our independancy. What i want people to understand here is how big Harmonium were at that moment in Quebec, far beyond the audience any prog rock group could pretend. Think about Bono's issues in the nineties for exemple, or say the "We are the world" collective song for Africa, and you just get the idea what was it for Harmonium and Quebec in the seventies.

In Serge Fiori you had the charismatic leader whose voice, litteraly and symbolicaly could transport the masses. I'm one of those who did attend their concerts and we truly felt in sort of a (pagan) liturgy, full of emotions and collective soul. At the end, and as another quebecois has noted in these pages, Quebec is still Canada's part, but the artistic dimension and poetic message is still prevailing in Harmonium work of love, which is always the case with masterpieces, making in sort that that local particularities of a cultural work reach to the universal. That's why "Si on avait besoin..." never would sound dated, mellotron or not...

Five stars quite evidently