The Flower Kings - Space Revolver CD (album) cover

SPACE REVOLVER

The Flower Kings

kev rowland
Crossover Team
4 stars Roine Stolt has pulled in his wings with this album somewhat, just a single CD this time with only one song over twenty minutes in length, and even that is divided into two so that it opens and closes the album. Why, the whole album is under 75 minutes long! (Just). I made the mistake of initially playing this after listening to the new Spock's Beard album about ten times in a row, and feeling that I needed something different. I heard this then through ears that weren't quite ready for it, and I could not help but dislike it. The only thing to do was to give it a break and go back to it, and I am glad that I did.

There is now a new bassist in Flower Kings, Jonas Reingold, who has brought a much more jazzy feel to proceedings. Add to that the inventive sax playing of Ulf Wallander (which is used sparingly but to great effect), then the music does seem to have shifted in feel. While losing none of the power, this has allowed Roine to spread the wings of the band. It is distinctively still Flower Kings, but there is more passion and more emotion.

Roine has always tried to progress his music and like his counterpart Neal Morse he has created a band that has very much his own sound, something of a rarity in today's progressive scene. A good addition to their catalogue.

Feedback #60, Oct 2000