Voivod - Nothingface CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

5 stars Nothingface was actually the first Voivod album i listened to. My brother had bought it and played it all the time. I must say that I was rather confused as I was not very old and my references at the time was Metallica, Iron Maiden and Slayer. After some time and a lot of spins I got hooked though. What a great album it turned out to be. It was a favorite of mine then and still is. The complicated music, the strange vocal lines and the absolutely beautiful album cover made by Away ( as the rest of their covers). Voivod doesn´t sound like any other band and they are a truly progressive band in that sense.

I must say I understand the critics though as this is a very hard accessible album. It is very technical and sounds like nothing else, which means you have a hard time labelling the album. But it´s always been like that with Voivod, just a little more ekstreme with Nothingface.

The cover of Astronomy Domine is worth mentioning as it is pretty true to the original, but of course made Voivod style with Blacky´s bass pretty prominant. I actually heard this version before the original, and maybe therefore think this is better.

I cannot praise this album enough, but keep an open mind when listening, because this is not for everybody. It´s not very metal and therefore the prog heads shouldn´t have problems with too much distortion or growling vocals. But on the other hand it is so odd, that many will die screaming having to listen to the whole album.

Please give it a try. This is a classic and very essential.

UMUR | 5/5 |