Voivod - Katorz CD (album) cover

KATORZ

Voivod

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
2 stars Katorz has a special history as Piggy had passed ( RIP) at this point. He had finished his guitar demoes for the album, and these demoes were used in the studio, which meant a lot of studio techniques were used for this album to come into form. Bass, drums and vocals had to follow the guitar. In my opinion this shows to much. This is not a worthy testimony to Piggy ( My hero).

Katorz seems half finished in places and the guitar isn´t right in my ears. I´ve listened to Piggy play for the last 17 years and I can hear when something is wrong. This is demo material and don´t let anyone tell you differently.

As exciting this experiment seems on paper it doesn´t work. I understand that Voivod wanted to honour Piggy by finishing the album, but what a sad testimony.

I will always remember Piggy for the outstanding guitar work on these 5 albums: Killing Technology, Dimension Hatröss, Nothingface, Angel Rat and The Outer Limits. I´ll forget about this one.

Not essential.