Cynic - Focus CD (album) cover

FOCUS

Cynic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
5 stars One of the most sure five star albums in Prog Archives is Cynic´s sole album "Focus". The album is so wonderfully progressive, heavy and melodic at the same time, that i deserves even more praise than it has already got.

The musicianship is astonishing, we´re dealing with the most gifted musicians in death metal ever. Paul Masvidal, Sean Reifert, Sean Malone and Jason Gobel are all incredibly gifted musicians. They each bring a lot to the music.

I was very much into death metal at the time "Focus" was released, and we had been hearing rumours about this band for quite some time. Tony Choy from Atheist had been playing with them, Paul Masvidal and Sean Reifert had been hired to record and tour with Death, Jason Gobel played on Monstrosity´s "Imperial Doom". As I recall Paul is also featured on Master´s "On the eight day God created Master" ( If there ever was a lame album title this is the one). All this hightened our expectation to Cynic, an boy did it pay of.

Songs like Veil of Maya, Textures and How Could I just blew me away. I had never heard anything like this before. Today my references are more broad than they were back then, so of course I can hear more influences in their music, but Cynic is still one of a kind. The only band they sound a bit like is Atheist, but that´s not too bad now is it ?

This album comes highly recommeded, everyone who likes tech death metal with jazz influences should give this one a try, prog head might find this a bit too heavy, but I hope you´ll try it out anyway.

Very essential.