Atheist - Piece of Time CD (album) cover

PIECE OF TIME

Atheist

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
4 stars This was a very welcome addition to my metal collection when I purchased this album in the early nineties. I was very much into Death Metal at the time, and "Piece of Time" is essentially a Death Metal/ thrash album. There are not many prog tendencies on this Atheistīs first album. The hints are there though, mostly in Roger Pattersonīs brilliant bass playing. Steve Flynn was still a rather normal Death drummer on this album ( a quite good one I might add).

The production is not the best in the world making it hard to listen to the album in itīs entire form without being irritated at some point, but if you like it raw and unpolished this will do.

The songs are all good but two songs stand out from the rest. "Piece of Time" and "I Deny", which showed where Atheist were heading, especially the brutal and wonderful "I Deny" is a classic with the break in the middle of the song were Kelly Shaefer is screaming: "Itīs Godīs way says your horrid wife" ( yes you guessed right, Atheist is angry at organized religion). This track alone is worth purchasing this album for. One of the best Atheist tracks ever.

I should give this one 4 stars but there are too many things ( the bad production, the fact that there are only 2 really outstanding tracks) that pull this one down to a 3. It is recommendable to metal boys though, the Prog heads will probably run away seing this as useless noise.

NOTE: I have changed my mind concerning the rating of Piece of Time. This might be a very raw and at times primitive album but itīs also a very original and unique recording. I have changed my rating to 4 stars instead of 3.

UMUR | 4/5 |