Atheist - Unquestionable Presence CD (album) cover

UNQUESTIONABLE PRESENCE

Atheist

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
5 stars Unquestionable Presence is one of my alltime favorite albums. I listen to this a couple of times a month and have for the last 15 years. Itīs perfect in any way possible. The production is heavy as F... but still clear enough so you can hear what the different instruments do. Itīs a technical monster, but in my opinion with a purpose. Nothing sounds forced here, every riff ( and there are ekstremely many)sounds natural.

The genre can be defined this way: Death Metal/ Thrash with strong jazz/ Fusion influences. Itīs a genre very few bands play, and out of the handful that do, very few succeed. Atheist should be regarded as kings of this genre and this album is the grandfather of the style. Crushing brutal Death riffs, a screaming growling vocal ( not a gutteral one), and very complex rythms, all played at the speed of light are the ingredients of this album. Itīs so intense that I canīt sit still while listening to this, I always rave around my house in a weird tribal dancelike state ( this canīt be explained, youīll have to witness this to (Dis)believe your eyes.

The album starts with Mother Man that together with I Deny from Piece of Time are my favorite Atheist songs. Itīs a really great song with many different riffs and moods. Another standout track Iīm gonna mention is "Your Life's Retribution" which contains some of the most brutal Death metal riffing I have ever heard ( take that Cannibal Corpse), just played in an unconventional way.

A truly progressive album in every sense of the word ( well itīs not symphonic ! but still). Very essential. They have exactly what I think a lot of the prog metal bands lack and thatīs aggression and brutality, a lovely trademark of Metal. But at the same time they have the complexity of Prog Rock and jazz/ Fusion.

I Canīt recommend this album enough. Mostly for Metal fans though, and maybe open minded jazz/ Fusion fans.

UMUR | 5/5 |