Black Sabbath - Paranoid CD (album) cover

PARANOID

Black Sabbath

martindavey87
1 stars Time to make some enemies...

Whilst I'm not a big fan of Black Sabbath, I was able to tolerate their debut album. Their follow-up album however, just doesn't work for me. And here's why:

For starters, the whole album seems very 'immature', sounding like it was written by a bunch of twelve year-olds who have only been playing their instruments for a month (and I should know, I've been there myself). The guitar riffs are dull and uninspired, the lyrics are tacky and not very creative, and overall the songs are just boring, Ozzy's vocals are awful, and that has got to be one of the most God-awful covers ever.

On top of the that, the edition I have has a live version of 'Wicked World' on it, and it's about 20 minutes long, full of boring guitar solos with Tony Iommi playing the same legato licks over and over and Ozzy annoyingly shouting 'alright!' after every second line. Lame.

Overall, I find this to be, quite simply, a rubbish album. Harsh, but hey, this is my review, what can ya do about it? I gave it a fair amount of listens, and while it's predecessor had its moments, 'Paranoid' (arguably one of the greatest and most beloved metal records of all time) just seems very, very boring to me.

martindavey87 | 1/5 |