Yes - Close To The Edge CD (album) cover

4 stars At the moment I give this review, 746 reviewers have preceded me. That makes this album (one of) the most reviewed of all. So I think for the ratings it doesn't really matter that I do this one too. But I still want to give my opinion about Yes and about this album, so that's why.

Talking about this album is actually talking about the title track. And that's of course a very special one. When I first heard this song on the radio (!) in the seventies it blew me away, really. I wasn't familiair with prog yet but got very interested of course, as should be the case if you are a progger like me. But I was about 15 years old, so what do you know ? It lasted some more years before I really realized that prog was my thing and the rest of the music styles actually didn't really matter.

Close to the edge as a song is indeed a masterpiece but there are 3 tracks on the album and in all honesty, the other two are far less but of course they have to count in the rating. And you and I is a very nice track but no more than 4 stars and Siberian Khatru is even less to me (3.5 stars the most). So I don't know where all the 5 star-reviews are coming from, it must be for sentimental reasons or something. The justified rating is 4 stars (4.25 at best).

progrules | 4/5 |