Gnidrolog - Lady Lake CD (album) cover

LADY LAKE

Gnidrolog

The Lost Chord
4 stars 8.0/10 Great

Lady Lake continues, and improves, the Gnidrolog sound in many ways from it's predecessor, "In Spite of Harry's Toenail". This sound is something I have a very strong liking to, especially the vocal power of Colin Goldring, and the overall intensity and structure of these songs. I certainly do not fully enjoy some of the songs on here, and find a few bits as "filler material" so to speak, and many strong changes from highs to lows. "I Could Never Be a Solider" is an iconic classic for progressive rock, and a masterpiece at that. "Ship" is my favorite track on the album, and I think a good argument can be made that this is one of the first almost hip- hoppish sounds in music! The opening sax run is a gold mine for some rap/hip hop artist to sample (and butcher, ofcourse, in my humble opinion ;) (listen to and you will see!). "Social Embarassment" is my other favorite here and a great, powerful song and melody that I truly love, but drags towards the end. The rest of the album has never quite sunk into me, and I don't find much there that I enjoy heavily.

The musicianship is really fantastic, though, and overall this is actually a very unique style of vocalization and sound. This is a fantastic album yet quite far from truly incredible or perfection status. I have played a few of these main tracks for some people and there is always a positive response to them, so give this one a try and you should certainly find something to enjoy!

The Lost Chord | 4/5 |