Steve Hackett - To Watch The Storms CD (album) cover

TO WATCH THE STORMS

Steve Hackett

TGM: Orb
4 stars An album that just about earns five stars. If there had been one more 'weak' track, it would have been four.

People above have done justice to the music here, so I'll speak mostly about songs that I disagree with the consensus about, particularly love, or dislike for no real reason.

Disagreements: I think Mechanical Bride is fairly overrated by many of the reviewers above. I still love it, but it's too derivative (from Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man), and doesn't strike me as exceptional in the context of the album. It could have been a highlight on Darktown, however. The line 'wedded to remaining dumb' is fairly out of place with the rest of the lyrics and for no good reason annoys me.

Personal favourites: The Devil Is An Englishman - I didn't actually like this on the first listen, but the music and the sense of humour have grown on me. Quirky and a good frivolous moment to counter-balance the melancholy of much of the album.

Rebecca - Tragic, beautiful, and with a good, if a little out of place, instrumental section.

The Silk Road - I can't describe either how much or why I love this particular, mostly instrumental track. It develops from a couple of spoken lines to a vaguely world, yet prog, sounding instrumental.

Dislike: Come Away is simply in an Eastern European folk style that I personally don't like.

Anyway,

Overall Rating: 10/10 Favourite Track: The Silk Road

Edit: provisional drop to 4. A real review should follow.

TGM: Orb | 4/5 |