Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

2 stars This album is an excellent epilog to the previous albums. I rate it 2 stars only because, accordingly to the ProgArchives rating scale, 2 stars is for fans only. If you're new to Porcupine Tree, this album means nothing. But if you're a real fan from the beggining, this album is a 4 stars because of the always great production from PT, the pleasure I have to listen it again and again and the idea behind this album.

So that idea I call epilog... An epilog is a speech spoken directly to the audience following the conclusion of a play. My opinion is Porcupine Tree has played with essentialy the same material for so many years, they wanted to close something and this album concludes a long march. Like Mike Oldfield did with the Turbular Bells I. He played TB II, TB III, TB LIVE, TB everywhere. And then, one day, that last and final replay of his very first success, "the way I would have played it the first time". We will never hear new TB stuff from him again. Done, case closed. I guess PT decided to do relatively the same operation with Nil Recurring -- which could means "it will not occur again".

Yes, maybe the first piece is weak. But the second one, Normal, is to me a very nice reprise of so many themes developped in previous albums. Listen to Trains from Absentia and then to Normal... After announcing something new, the nice acoustic guitar opens to an old-and-so-much-exploited theme, this is delicious. And what about the harmonica, which picture the departure of an old buddy, a very first apparition of this instrument for PT. Cheating the polygraph is complex signatured song, with parts in 6/8 and 5/8, very cool for drummers, a tight play for Harrison again, a must for any PT album and any Progressive album. In Absentia, we had The Sound of Musak, with the first parts in 14/8.

What happens now? Well, we'll see. But this last song is so Peter-Gabriel inspired (from US - Secret World), is this musician the next collaborator with PT? Is this the next PT sound? The question is asked : what happens now?

Hope we'll not wait too long.

Buze | 2/5 |