Yes - Union CD (album) cover

UNION

Slartibartfast
3 stars I heard that Wakeman has referred to this one as "Onion". You know, it might have worked if only they had included Patrick Moraz and Peter Banks.

This really isn't that bad of an album. I got into it when it was fresh and then I saw them on the tour. (A crappy outdoor venue I might add.)

The first couple of pieces are a bit too commercial, but then comes in Masquerade, a rather nice acoustic piece by Howe. Lift Me Up starts of with promise, but then goes back into commercial territory. Miracle of Life's not too bad. Silent Talking may be one of the real gems on the album apart form Howe's solo piece. More We Live/Let Go is nice, too. The extremely short Evensong is interesting, prog, yet only 51 seconds. Take the Water to the Mountain, which wraps it up, is quite good, too.

There's some dense and intense moments offered on Union. Not a Yes masterpiece, but really not a piece of crap.

So, all in all, an interesting, but uneven experiment. If you can get past the commercial bits, there's something decent here to listen to. And frankly, the commercial bits aren't all that bad.

Slartibartfast | 3/5 |