Radiohead - In Rainbows  CD (album) cover

5 stars I have to say this album is on par with Radiohead's greatest. Not only with the marketing but the actual content rivals OK Computer at times. I was afraid the material would be sub-par since consumers were asked to pay what they wanted but the product more than delivers. In Rainbows is much better than Hail to the Thief which sounded to me like they were trying to go more mainstream and instead sounded watered down. This is Radiohead doing what they do best and, more importantly, building on it. No, there aren't any real rock-out moments here but that's not what Radiohead really excels at. They're at their best when they let the music build an intelligent atmosphere and let the vocals stand out. While not as experimental and mind-blowing as Kid A this album will be more accessible to the average listener. My only complaint is that this album does not have a good "flow" as with previous albums and seems to be just a collection of songs (which it basically is since almost all of these songs have been performed in concert in one form or another for the last 2 to 10 years). Still, I can't wait to hear the additional tracks that are included with the box set. I'm giving In Rainbows 5 out of 5 stars because I'm taking into consideration the genius "pay what you want" marketing plus the musical content.
mepluszero | 5/5 |