Frank Zappa - Jazz From Hell CD (album) cover

JAZZ FROM HELL

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

UMUR
2 stars This is one of my least liked Zappa albums. Composed entirely on the synclavier except for St. Etienne which is a live song ( vehicle for guitar solo) this album is really mechanic and lacks human emotion in my opinion.

The music is very technical as Zappa liked to compose when he knew he didnīt need people to play his songs. There are themes in the songs and especially on the opener Night School and G-Spot Tornado they are very recognizable, but on most of the other songs they get to be rather forgettable.

I am having a hard time reviewing this album, as I donīt like saying anything bad about my mentor Frank Zappa, but with this album I feel he did miss for once. It is a very exciting experiment though and deserves praise for that. But I think Jazz from Hell is only for collectors and I wanīt really recommend this to anyone else than Zappa completists like myself.

People into avant garde should try it out though ( you probably already have).

UMUR | 2/5 |