Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice CD (album) cover

THE TOWERS OF AVARICE

Zero Hour

UMUR
4 stars Itīs really a funny thing with this album as I normally donīt like Zero Hourīs music much. But this particular album is an exception. Maybe itīs the sci-fi theme that draws me in or the dark mood in the music, but I really find it to be an exciting album.

Much of it comes down to the fact that I really enjoy singer Erik Rosvoldīs voice and perfomance, in my ears he saves Zero Hourīs very cold and calculated music from dying on me. Unfortunately this would be his last album with the band. What a brilliant singer.

The instrumentation is rather stripped down for a prog metal band as there are only one guitar, bass and drums ( there are occassional keyboards though). This is a bit different from their debut, as I remember the debut having lots of keyboards. It works really well though as the almost mathlike riffs take up all space, and with a singer like Erik Rosvold you donīt really need anything else to create a melody.

The album is made up of the three first tracks which are really energetic and technical songs, then comes "Reflections" which is a "ballad" type song ( not really, but as I lack a better description, this is it). Demise and Vestige is the Epic of the album. It starts out with a really repetive almost Meshuggah like riff passage and turns into a beautiful song still very technical and challenging though. The last song The ghosts of dawn is a great dark closer to the record and helps bind the songs together as the story it is.

It is a concept album, with a story about a sci-fi hero ( the Subterranian) and his struggle for freedom. Really dark and brutal, it almost smells like Alien, Pitch Black, Matrix or Blade Runner.

If you can learn to appreciate Zero Hourīs pretty special way of playing, Iīm sure that if youīre into other prog metal acts in the dark vein, this will satisfy you as well. I find this album to be very enjoyable and essential allthough not a masterpiece.

UMUR | 4/5 |