King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King CD (album) cover

King Crimson

5 stars In terms of the music on this record, there is really nothing to add that hasn't already been said here. This is the record that defined the genre of Progressive Rock. Like it or not, the fact that this recording conjures up such accolades and paens is what art is all about. We can sit here and intellectualize every rhythm,harmony, dynamic, timbre, and structure. Or, we can just feel the music. As for me, a whole world of music was opened the first time I heard this record and I've never returned home. This is a record of tremendous contrasts in intensities, textures and moods. To listen to this recording from a purely intellectual or a purely passionate perspective denies the essence of who we are. Nothing in life can be intellectualized without feeling and nothing in life can be felt without intellectualizing it, although we frequently try to delude ourselves to the contrary. There is nothing purely representational or abstract... just a continuous flow. What I do know is that this record does make me think and feel in ways that most of the vast progressive rock literature, music in other genres and works in other art forms have been unable to approach. Five stars simply because no higher rating exists.

Share this KING CRIMSON review