Gentle Giant - Free Hand  CD (album) cover

FREE HAND

Gentle Giant

Moatilliatta
4 stars Free Hand is a document of the funkiest castle in history. I don't know if Gentle Giant invaded the funkiest castle, if Gentle Giant invaded a castle and brought the funk to the castle, or if Gentle Giant grew up in the funkiest castle and finally harnessed their medieval roots in their music, but it's all beyond the point. This is the music of the funkiest castle ever.

I wish I had the motivation to review this whole album and relate it to the funky castle story.

The album's got a few of GG's best tunes, most notably "On Reflection," and it's loaded with musical ingenuity, but it's fun. Almost too fun. My friends and I laugh constantly when listening to this together, but it's mostly in a good way. In any case, fans of the group will find plenty to enjoy. This is Gentle Giant's last great album, and I couldn't think of a better, funkier swan song than "Mobile."

Moatilliatta | 4/5 |