Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream CD (album) cover

STUPID DREAM

Porcupine Tree

PinkPangolin
4 stars Just to prove I do think about it, and don't just automatically give every PT album 5 stars, I've only given this 4 - well it should be 4 and a half. I can't help it - I just love Porcupine Tree that every album feels like a masterpiece (and I am following the 5 star guideline) Possibly my least favourite PT album, but I still totally love it - and it truly is excellent and well worth getting.

The only reason I haven't given it 5, is perhaps there's more pop in it than most, although there is still a lot of prog in it.

Well, I say pop, I mean the 3 songs Piano Lessons, Pure Narcotic, and Stranger by the Minute - the 3 singles - which are really so good that they should have given PT fame - and I still don't understand why they didn't - must have been due to radio play. I guess in a way it's a good thing because they have gone on trying and produced the wonderful albums that have followed. These 3 songs are what I would call psychedelic pop (not pop really).

In terms of melodies and Wilson Gilmour-esque guitar solos, in a way this album is the best - the singing is lovely and Richard Barberi's synth stuff is haunting. The melodies are truly fabulous. In a way it's the most acceptable PT album I can play to my wife.

In terms of the more Proggy stuff, Even Less and Don't Hate Me are two of PT's best tracks - superb!

This was a really major change for PT - probably due to becoming a full-on band rather than just Wilson-domination - but it worked.

The two tracks This is no Rehersal and Baby Dream are really gripping - the latter being particularly unusual.

I really like the use of saxophone and flute on the album - how about a bit more of this in the future? Don't HAte Me really has a "Dark Side of the Moon" feel (reminds me a bit of "Us and Them")

In a way this album marks 3 paths that PT could take - the older space rock feel, pstchedelic melodies/ songs, or Prog Metal (yes, the beginnings of metal riffs can be found in this album - personally I really like that, but that's your own choice). The failure of the singles may have lead PT down the more Heavy prog path, but who cares - PT are fabulous at anything they try especially when they are as eclectic as this - being at this cross-roads stage probably the most eclectic of their albums.

By the way - has anyone got a problem with playing those bonus tracks on the 2nd disc - it's really annoying in 5:1 - I simply can't play them. Please, Mr. Wilson - always include a stereo version for those plebs like me that don't have 5:1 surround systems.

Oh well - looks like I've almost talked myself into 5 stars - better stick with the 4, else you'll never believe me that I do think about it!!!

PinkPangolin | 4/5 |