Pholas Dactylus - Concerto Delle Menti CD (album) cover

Pholas Dactylus

Rock Progressivo Italiano

2 stars Before going to shortly review the Pholas Dactylus album, being Italian, I has been obliged to make a preliminary statement: that one admit or not, most of the lyrics of the Italian prog-groups are often literary little significant, and, as concerning their conceptual complexity, naïve; but, first of all, one can object that the lyrics are a non-specific feature of the progmusic, adding that who intends to be urged by poetical or more intellectually sophisticated texts, he would better do to listen to Giorgio Gaber, Francesco De André, Francesco Guccini (if Italian or however expert of this language), or to Leo Ferré, Jacques Brel, Jean Ferrat, Boris Vian (if French...), and so on. But here the question is different, for in this case an irrefutable importance is annected to the lyrics, and I must say openly that these are not simply unsophisticated, candid, or literally poor, but, in my opinion, terribly pretentious, full of passages on which (maybe unaware) flits an unbearable ideology of omnipotence, and moreover so trivialized to make the text of the "recitativo" at times ridiculous or disturbing. For the music, I have nothing to add to all that already stated from the other reviewers. So, two stars is my rating.
Fargue | 2/5 |