Meshuggah - Nothing (New version) CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

2 stars Another band I’ll hardly ever return to.

After numerous recommendations from respected sources I decided to give it a try. I felt like I’m making a mistake, because with all my love to emotions and melodies MESHUGGAH is hardly a band corresponding to these characteristics. But on the other side I’ve always liked some Experimental/Post-Metal bands, as well as few Tech/Extreme Metal ones. Who can pre-see the result? This is unexpected thought I. Borrowed “I” and “Nothing” from a friend and gave them few spins. Frankly saying, as much as I could bear, because there are no melodies/emotions at all. I can clearly see the point: this is pure energy, pure Metal, very complex, technical, with head-crashing riffs and outstanding level of maturity from each member of the band. But this is NOT my music. So why should I even bother writing this review? This is a testament, brothers, for future generations to come: don’t repeat my mistakes. If you like emotions and melodies most, you’d better follow the right instructions instead of getting yourself two evenings of instant headache. MESHUGGAH is a stopping bar to even more extreme music for me, and I doubt I’d ever go beyond this fence. So what’s for me? OPETH, TOOL, MAUDLIN OF THE WELL, EPHEL DUATH finally – yes. MESHUGGAH – no, thank you. This is where the music stops.

Prog-jester | 2/5 |