Woolly Wolstenholme's Maestoso - Songs From The Black Box CD (album) cover

Woolly Wolstenholme's Maestoso

2 stars Well this is what I would call "Old Man Prog Rock". I know this sounds like a provocation, but it really isnīt. I just file it under that catagory. Some "Old Man Prog Rock" bands are really good. Bands like Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd for instance. Really good "Old Man Prog Rock. But there are also the other bands or persons who havenīt stood the test of time very well. I think Woolly is one of them.

I respect his past works with BJH and wouldnīt talk badly about that, but this is just too lame and cheesy at times. Very few times am I reminded that this is actually prog rock. This is way too soft for me. More pop than rock. I canīt seem to remember one song after this is finished and Iīm almost asleep. This is always a bad sign.

Woolly plays symphonic pop that is just a little too nice and polished. Thereīs a bit neo prog style here too. Maybe the neo prog fans will like this ? There is no need to tell you that the musicians are excellent throughout the album though. All competent gentlemen.

UMUR | 2/5 |