Watchtower - Control and Resistance CD (album) cover

CONTROL AND RESISTANCE

Watchtower

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
4 stars This is one of those special albums within the prog metal genre. One that others measure themselves by. Watchtower was one of the first metal bands to mix Jazz/ Fusion into their brand of metal. This is their crowning achivement. A true tech/prog metal classic.

The musicians on the album are beyond astonishing. They are crazy. Gods on their instruments. Alan Tecchio is an extreme singer. His high pitched vocals pierce my ears but he fits the extreme music well. Actually this is pretty agressive music. The bass player is heard very much thoughout the album and Ron Jarzombek makes his entrance into the metal world with a blast. Rick Colaluca is one of the best drummers I have ever heard and I promise you that Sean Reifert has listened to him for inspiration.

The Fall Of Reason is my favorite song here, but all songs are great and really beyond my comprehension. I still enjoy it though. The music is very cold and clinical which is something I favour. The production is a little eighties thin and there are lots of treble. The bass is clearly heard though.

This album has so much history and has inspired so many people over the years that I should give it 5 stars, but on the other hand I think it lacks a little in the melody department and the music gets to be a little repetitive in my ears. This could be because I donīt have the patience to really understand what is going on, but on the other hand I have listened to this album for maybe 50 times through the years and I still have a hard time listening to the whole thing in succesion. Itīs still a classic though and deserves 4 stars. Jazz fusion fans should be able to find something interesting here if they donīt let the high pitched vocals scare them away.

UMUR | 4/5 |