Van Der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine CD (album) cover

THE AEROSOL GREY MACHINE

Van Der Graaf Generator

UMUR
3 stars Van Der Graaf Generator is a very celebrated band in the prog archives. Personaly I have never had the chance to listen to their albums before now, so I figured I would start with their debut The Aerosol Grey Machine.

Well I would compare this album to Genesis "From Genesis to Revelation", because it has a lot of sixties elements, and it doesnīt sound like much else they have made, just like with Genesis debut album. The production is very much in the sixties vein too. Van Der Graaf Generator is a little more dark than your average sixties psychadelic band or Genesis for that matter. This is what intrigues me the most about this album really, because the music isnīt that captivating in my ears. Songs like Running Back and Octopus show the way to the seventies though, with pretty progressive ideas.

The musicians play with a lot of enthusiasm and they are very competent. I had to get used to Peter Hammillīs voice as it is rather special and he sings very theatrical. I guess some people never will get used to it. Thatīs what I can understand from some of the other reviews, but the real fans love him. Iīm still undecided on the matter. But importantly enough I donīt hate him.

Well for the time ( 1969) this is a pretty impressive album, but being new to the band and not having lived with them for many years, I can only give this album 3 stars, because there are so many other good things out there today. I will note though that it is easy to hear why this band has been so influencial.

UMUR | 3/5 |