Anata - The Conductor's Departure  CD (album) cover

THE CONDUCTOR'S DEPARTURE

Anata

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
2 stars "The Conductorīs Departure" is the 4th full-length studio album by Swedish technical death metal act Anata. The album was released in June 2006 by Wicked World ( a subsidary to Earache Records).

The music on the album is technical death metal with enough twists and turns to keep even the most experienced fan of the genre busy. The playing on the album is astonishing to say the least. The production is powerful and detailed too so that part of the album is well functioning. If you ask me thereīs one major issue with "The Conductorīs Departure" though and itīs a pretty serious issue. The songwriting is patchy. By patchy I mean that the songs contain multible riffs and sections, tempo- and time signature changes in spades but itīs like thereīs no master plan. The riffs succeed each other in an endless stream and the songs completely lack memorability and hooks. After the album finishes all I can remember is that the band are extremely well playing. I canīt remember any of the songs.

One of the things that could have worked well is the way Anataīs two guitarists compliment each other. There are almost no unison playing on the album. At all times the two guitars play different things. The problem is that it sometimes sound like the two guitars are playing the riffs from two different tracks at the same time. It sounds very confusing and when you add to that the almost constant tempo- and time signature changes, the soundscape becomes too busy for its own good. Weīre talking death metal here and I expect brutality and relentless power bursts, but because of all the twists and turns on this album, Iīm left unsatisfied. I think the album lacks power. Itīs as simple as that. Add to that a very monotone growling vocal delivery and thereīs just not very much I find interesting on "The Conductorīs Departure" besides the impressive technical level of the musicianship. The latter saves a half star so that my rating ends up with 2.5 stars. Being original doesnīt always mean you are able to deliver something thatīs enjoyable to listen to.

UMUR | 2/5 |