Roine Stolt - Hydrophonia CD (album) cover

HYDROPHONIA

Roine Stolt

progrules
3 stars I always regarded Roine Stolt one of the best, if not the best, guitar player in the world. He plays the instrument just how I like it, with much energy and virtuosity and producing beautiful melodic solos.

But what I don't understand with this album is that when you have such enormous potential as a musician you do so little with it. Hydrophonia starts off with (by far) the best tune of the entire album, Cosmic Lodge, and I can still remember the first time I listened to this album, I was anxiously waiting for the next great guitar effort, but it wasn't coming !

The rest of the album is full of sweet sounding material but I can detect no more great energetic guitar playing. So I'm afraid I have to consider this as a disappointment, but that's just my personal taste and feeling about it. I'm not saying this is a bad album or this is poor music. I think Roine Stolt is too great a musician to produce poor stuff. Because of this all I will give 3 stars for this.

progrules | 3/5 |