Blue Öyster Cult - Blue Öyster Cult CD (album) cover

Blue Öyster Cult

3 stars There´s not much prog rock to be found on this Blue Öyster Cult debut. Actually it is pretty good bluesy hard rock and nothing more. It´s one of those albums though where you feel the band loves what they do, and that is always a treat. As this is a debut the songwriting could have been more refined, but I actually like the rawness.

Blue Öyster Cult sometimes remind me of Deep Purple, without the outstanding vocals from Gillian ( Eric Bloom is a good vocalist, but hey! who in this world can beat Gillian when it comes to hard rock) and it is not hard to hear that Iron Maiden have listened to Blue Öyster Cult.

This is a promising debut, allthough there are no traces of prog here. I haven´t heard anything else from Blue Öyster Cult yet, so I´ll guess the prog related part comes on later recordings ?

UMUR | 3/5 |