Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One CD (album) cover

H TO HE, WHO AM THE ONLY ONE

Van Der Graaf Generator

UMUR
3 stars Very much a continuation of the sound Van der Graaf Generator had on their previous album, H to He, Who Am the Only One is a little sharper in the instrumentation and sound quality.

I think this is a litte better than The Least We can do is Wave to Each Other, but still not worth the excellent mark. The music is centered around Peter Hammill´s vocals, but this time around there are more instrumental passages and especially David Jackson begins to show something special with his wind and brass instruments, just listen to the solo in Killer and you will know what I mean.

Van der Graaf Generator don´t really fall under my personal taste, but I still admire them greatly. I think they are very innovative and exciting, but Hammill´s voice turn me off. It´s a real shame because he is really skilled and his lyrics are some of the best in prog rock. A matter of personal taste I reckon.

I will give this album 3 stars for the innovative nature of the music, and some great moods here and there, but I can´t give it more when I really don´t find it that essential. I wouldn´t take my word for it though. This is the kind of album that you have to listen to yourself and then make your own judgement.

UMUR | 3/5 |