The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord CD (album) cover

The Moody Blues

5 stars This is a true masterpiece!

I first heard this album in 1972 (I was a kid), and it blew me away. It still does.

The album is a collection of songs based around a common theme. Each song, whilst being a song within it's own right, contributes to the whole. Each member of the group contributes equally- no lead singer, no front man-and the end result is a fascinating musical journey. The constant change of vocalist-Edge, Lodge, Thomas, Hayward & then Pinder-gives the true sense of a musical expedition- with all members taking an equal part. The changes of style-from the catchy "Ride my See-saw", through the comical "Dr Livingstone"-to the introverted "Actor", to "Om" (perhaps the answer?(!) are very enjoyable, and make a welcome change from some other bands, who used only one vocalist.

Whilst the credits on the album suggest a mini-orchestra, in practice the band line-up is a straight five piece.

Yes, sometimes parts of the album sound dated. But who cares?

This album is a must for everyone, young or old, who has an interest in progressive rock.

| 5/5 |