Ange - Caricatures CD (album) cover

3 stars Ange was a nice surprise for me, as I hadnīt expected too much, knowing that this was a french band. I got over my own prejudises though and bought the album. I never imagined that I would like anything by a band singing in french, but I was wrong.

The music on this debut album from Ange is very inspired by Genesis circa Nyrsery cryme. The sound quality is just as bad as that one unfortunately. It doesnīt ruin the music though, as this is great prog rock, that even though it is inspired very much by Genesis doesnīt steal from them.

Singer Christian Decamps has a lot of different approaches to singing and it keeps the music interesting throughout. What I like the most though are the keyboards and the piano, what sweet melodies they create. The rythm section is very tight and produces some exciting rythms.

The reason for only giving this one 3 stars, when I am this happy about album, is that I donīt understand a word they sing, and I donīt find french to be a very nice language to sing in. So I guess my prejudises werenīt exactly wrong. But try this out yourself, it might not bother you as much as it bothers me. It is a very good prog rock album though, and I would recommend this to every prog head ( especially Genesis fans).

UMUR | 3/5 |